From the Dalai Lama
There is an e-mail currently circulating the Internet entitled
"Instructions for Life in the New Millennium from the Dalai Lama". It
contains such platitudes as "When you lose, don't lose the lesson" and
"Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon". (The entire text of
the e-mail is included below.) If you think these sound a little too
light, or perhaps a little to western, to really be written by His
Holiness, Tenzin Gyatso the Fourteenth Dalai Lama, the spiritual and
temporal leader of the Tibetan people, you would be right. Who is the
real author of these instructions?
This is what The Dalai Lama has to say on the millennium, which actually
begins 01/01/2001 (and not 01/01/00). All it takes is a few seconds to
read and think about. Do not keep this message. The mantra must leave
your hands within 96 hours. You will get a very pleasant surprise. This
is true even if you are not superstitious.
Instructions for Life in the new millennium from the Dalai Lama:
* Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great
* When you lose, don't lose the lesson.
* Follow the three R's: Respect for self, respect for others,
responsibility for all your actions.
* Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful
stroke of luck.
* Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
* Don't let a little dispute injure a great friendship.
* When you realize you've made a mistake, take immediate steps to
* Spend some time alone every day.
* Open your arms to change, but don't let go of your values.
* Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
* Live a good, honorable life. Then, when you get older and think back,
you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.
* A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
* In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current
situation. Don't bring up the past.
* Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality.
* Be gentle with the earth.
* Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.
* Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each
other exceeds your need for each other.
* Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
* Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon.
Do not keep this message. The mantra must leave your hands within 96
hours. You will get a very pleasant surprise (this is true even if you
are not superstitious) if you send it to:
* 0-4 people: Your life will improve slightly.
* 5-9 people: Your life will improve to your liking.
* 9-14 people: You will have at least 5 surprises in the next 3 weeks.
* 15 people and above: Your life will improve drastically and everything
you ever dreamed of will begin to take place.